Saturday, February 5

the rose... the sunflower


this week was made of days heavy with the buzz of fans.
we have been stuck in the middle of a thick hot cloud... floundering after dandylion puffs and being lulled to sleep by the heat. and the crickets.
this has been my first week back... i braced myself for much more work than i got, which has left ample time for trips to the beach, for swimming in stinging salty water, for peek-a-booing with the kitten...
it has been too hot to do much else other than curl up in white sheets and read french childrens books

i happened upon this little treasure in a huge secondhand bookstore i found on a bicycle ride a few weeks ago
it is a wonderful place. out the front there is a huge box full of unbought stock labelled 'everything in this tub is free'. it was mostly just some old commerce textbooks on top but after a root around i found a few old books that were first published in the 30s! i did spend quite a bit of time just out the front, but... free books!

i also bought some $3 agatha christies.

le petit prince was only $2! i would have payed triple! i got the penguin version which is translated in english for christmas so it was especially a surprise to find an original... all in french and with larger, colour pictures.

i love the pictures! they are so whimsical and just make me picture teensy little french toddlers from the 50's flipping through this book, years before i ever held it in my hands.





i have been thinking about sunflowers lately... their heavy golden heads that follow the sun. you can never be too sad when sunflowers are involved. i have never had a day that didn't improve after encountering a sunflower or two. they are very optimistic flowers. tall and straight and quietly following the light.

this year i would like to be more like a sunflower.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, the little prince is a favorite. I cry every time I read it. you are lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely things you got yourself. I love the Petit Prince. Go and get those flowers! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are already like a sunflower. You certainly brightened my day. ♥ Le Petit Prince is a little bundle of pure magic. I am rather envious that you got an original copy. I wish I knew of a shop that gave away books. It's like a library, except that the books are forever. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the small prince so much xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous, stunning. love the little prince, it's definitely a favourite.

    sunflowers are lovely ad uplifting! I want to be like one too. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. what wonderful finds! i love Le Petit Prince :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. my darling grace! wow, I will say the exact same thing about your blog - it is absolutely delightful!! i am envious of the "le petit prince" book you picked up for yourself at the secondhand store, it looks utterly charming! i too, would like to be more like a sunflower this year. what a beautiful thought. looking forward to your next post! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! You are so loverly and lucky! Le Petit Prince is my favorite french tale :)
    And your photos are gorgous as well
    <3
    Raelynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic blog, this is so lovely and i adore the little prince! x

    http://ohchaarr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love this:
    My drawing was not a picture of a hat. It was a picture of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant. But since the grown-ups were not able to understand it, I made another drawing: I drew the inside of a boa constrictor, so that the grown-ups could see it clearly. They always need to have things explained.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My friend bought Le Petit Prince for me yesterday. It was one of the best gifts anyone has ever given me. I can't wait to start translating it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the most beautiful books ever!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cross my heart to be a sunflower this year too. Let's be sisters in a pot. x

    ReplyDelete

flowers